Wednesday, January 04, 2006



Before you go back in XSI, you may as well to your color map. The best way i found to do that in Zbrush is to select a base color and just jump from projection master angles... the corners and angles are a little tricky to get in zbrush, but don't worry too much about that, you can do that in photoshop if you've unwrapped you model nicely beforhand...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:36

    Hi, I'm using Zbrush to paint my color map for my model as well. But I have some problem when I'm painting it. There are always some difference part between front and back of my model, so I use Blur Brush to blend them toghether, but it end up another part appear to have abit of colors change as well. It's very weird and I can't find any way to fix this problems

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, that basically the trick is, with zbrush or any app that does this sort of projection technique (deep paint, bodypaint..) it is to always only ever paint polys that are facing the most towards the camera... there is a brush that will actually follow the contour of the model, it's called the "directionnal brush"... This brush might help. Also, you can always forget about those little artifacts and simply fix them in photoshop later on... I hope this helped... :) cheers, good luck. Send us a link of your finished work when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous02:08

    Hi there! Just saw your website (portfolio) and it rocks. Could you please answer me a question cause nobody does? After finishing the modelling in XSI do you assign a texture projection and then export it as an obj? Or do you give uvmap inside Zbrush? do you manage to have any problems texturing cause when I gave uv map via zbrush it distorted the mapping after picking it up from Projection MAster... do you export displacement maps? If yes how in the earth do you do that? I've been stuck 3 days now and can't find any answer to my questions like no one knows what I am asking!

    It would be great if I received a reply from ya!

    Thanks!
    Dinos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dinos, thanks for the nice comment about my blogspot :) It makes it all worthwhile...
    You have a few ways to work with your uvs. The first is to, indeed, unwrapp in XSI, but if you do that make sure you do a bloody good job, because if you've got the slightest overlaps or stretching projection master will deform the painting once you do the pick up. So if you unwrapp in XSI don't hesitate to (say for a head) Seperate it in a few peices in order to get better unwrapp. Make sure you strategies your seems well... For example, have the seperation between the neck and the head just under the chin an jaw line, not at the connection of the head an neck. Anyways, you probably already know that. The more perfect your uv's the less funny stuff projection master will do. Also, make sure you have ABSOLUTELY NO OVERLAPS. This will cause zbrush to crash when you create a displacement map or a normal map. Another way is to do an GUV tile or AUV tile in Zbrush. This is one of the best ways to unwrapp your model. The down side is that you can't really edit the maps in photoshop to paint extra stuff because all the polys are laid out one by one (like an automatic projection). but you can still work like that, there's nothing wrong with it.

    Now here's a tricky one. Say, you have unwrapped in Zbrush and want to change uvs while keeping your map intact, you can go back in XSI with your object exported out of Zbrush. Export the colour map as well. Then create a new set of uvs in XSI and use the rendermap otion to render what the map channel 1 colour map, onto the map channel 2 one. And bingo, you've got a proper unwrapped model with the same colour map...

    About the displacement map exporting, there's a lot of info out there on the web...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.