Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Finally fully migrated to Linux!!!

Yep! It's real! I'm no computer whiz, and yet, there it is! I have setup a fully working Linux system... And wait, there's more! I don't have a dual boot or anything like that! Windows is fucking history as far as I'm concerned! I have everything I could ever need on my pretty little Fedora system!

3D, Compositing, Editing, Painting... ect, the works...

Here's a screeny of XSI fnd running. I have decided to use this "flying monster" project from early this year to put XSI on Linux to the test...



I have one word to anyone thinking of doing the same thing. If you're not a Linux whiz and don't to spend the next 3 years learning it in depth, just get Fedora (despite what all those distro fanatics will say...) or Ubuntu, and install EVERYTHING! that's right! All 5 CDs... Well maybe not the games as they are pretty shit... :) . But especially install the programming stuff... Don't be scared... It's not for programming, but because all the packages (Eclipse, Glade... ect) have Libraries and compilers that you may need at what time or another... So, better safe than sorry is what I say! :)
Once you've got it all installed, (which should be super easy... it's even easier than to install than windows... why? haha because there's no freaking serial number, password, id number, customer access service code, super membership passport, and finally 45 digits you have to get by actually ringing microsoft and abusing the poor woman with an indian accent on the phone... Yep, Linux just tells you : Do you want to install? if so what language do you speak?... Thank you, installing... Ahhhhh... You gotta love it!
so... where was I?.. ah, yes... Once it's all installed, just run the Applications > system tools > Software updater, and let it do its magic... It'll take ages and you need an internet connection... Preferably a fast one because it's a big download... But it's worth doing to prevent future headaches...
That's pretty much it.... Remember that to install most programs you need to log in as root. Meaning that you should log out and type in root in the username and the password you chose at install for the password... It will log you into a regular looking session but the difference is that in that session, YOU ARE GOD! byt that, i mean, you can do anything you want. Delete or change any sacred system file... so be careful. (Just don't go in the root folder and delete all) haha... that would suck!
Ok then... I'll shut up. My guess is that all that I typed is totally useless to anyone because it's common sense... But at least you can see that a complete Linux iliterate can happily get a Fedora system with any highend application you need for 3D... (except Max... but, i'm not going to miss the bastard)...

Here's a list of software you may want:

--3D--
-MAYA
-XSI
-Maybe Blender... but just to play around, even after elphant dreams, I'm not conviced it's a great character tool)
-Wings 3D
-Soon, Mudbox!!! (YAY!)
-Massive (if you dare look at the interface...)

--Compositing--
-Jahshaka
-Cinelerra (comp/editing)
-Shake (of course)
-Nuke (ooh yeah!)
-Cinepaint

--Image editing a la Photoshop--
-Pixel (very good, and very similar to photoshop + very cheap!)
-The Gimp (some people hate it, some love it...I have mixed feelings about it)
-Cinepaint (I beleive you may find this evil brother of the Gimp at ILM, Dreamworks and others...)

--2D animation/vector animation/vector graphics--
-Well don't get your hopes too high, there's nothing anywhere near flash.
-Moho (pretty cool)
-Toon Boom (Super ecxellent!)
-Skencil (...)
-Inkscape (...)
-Synfig (Very very promissing!)

And there's probably millions more! (throw an email my way if you think i should add something)

Cheers guys.

This is officialy my longest post ever!

Here a few screenshots to prove my theories! :)






PS: Respect to the geniuses behind all the software mentionned above. And also to the ones not mentionned but who have written, not for profit, but out of passion for technology and progress all the software that I use everyday and take for granted! You guys are true lengends! You are the artists behind my art! If I wanted to try to be Poetic about it I'd say: What would Michaelangelo's David look like without the marble it is made out of? Or better, would you imagine Michaelangelo trying to sculpt in marble without a hammer and chisel?!?! haha! He'd use up his fingernails pretty quickly!

2 comments:

  1. I would also recommend that you download picasa from google (now also availble for linux). It's one amazing image browser that I for one can't live without.

    http://picasa.google.com/linux/

    regards
    stefan andersson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21:23

    Congratulations to another penguin-brother!
    btw. Blender completely rocks at modelling can't move to XSI from it =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.